Learn How to Make a Mudslide – From Scratch
You can learn how to make a Mudslide more delicious and less expensive by making it from scratch. This classic on-the-rocks cocktail is most delectable when you use your own homemade “Kahlua” and “Bailey’s Irish Crème”.
The basic recipe includes three ingredients, plus ice. :
- Coffee Liqueur (Kahlua)
- Irish Crème (Bailey’s)
Pour about an ounce of each over ice in a small, chilled glass. Stir and enjoy.
If you buy decent but not the very expensive vodka and whiskey, you can make delicious and inexpensive gourmet liqueurs to go in your Mudslide. This is how you make a Mudslide that is not only more delicious, but less expensive.
You will have to buy the vodka, unless you have a distillery. You’ll use some in the drinks, as well as some in the “Kahlua”. Get the best quality that keeps it affordable, since it ends up being so much of the alcohol in the drinks.
Stoli’s® from Russia or decent American vodka like Skyy® can be fine. Grey Goose is reliably good. If money is no object, splurge on a bottle of Chopin® from Poland. (And drink a bit on the rocks.)
For the coffee liqueur you need:
- 4 c. sugar
- 2 oz. instant coffee (brewed coffee will be too watery)
- 4 c. boiling water
- 1 qt. vodka
- 2 vanilla beans (or some vanilla extract if you must)
- You can add a little chocolate syrup too
- Add 4 cups sugar to 3 cups water in a pot.
- Boil until the sugar completely dissolves – 15 minutes or so
- Let it cool completely.
- (Or you will evaporate your alcohol.)
- In a glass bowl, mix the instant coffee and a cup of boiling water.
- Let it cool completely.
- Combine the cooled mixtures with a quart of vodka.
- Put into two quart bottles, each with a vanilla bean.
- Seal and let the flavors meld for 3 to 4 weeks.
You will have 2 quarts of homemade “Kahlua”. One for you and one to make into bottles of Mudslide for gifts.
“Bailey’s” (This will be ready to drink right away.)
For the Irish Crème you need:
- 1 3/4 c. Irish whiskey (if you want IRISH crème)
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1 – 14 ounce can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- 2 T. chocolate syrup (more or less)
- 1 T. instant coffee
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- ½ t. almond extract (optional)
Directions are simple:
- Combine everything in the blender.
- Blend on high about a half a minute.
- Taste (you can add chocolate or more whiskey to taste)
Seal tightly and refrigerate. This makes less than the “Kahlua” recipe, because it is limited by what fits in a blender. But it is easy to make two batches.
You can keep these three ingredients on hand to make your mudslides as desired, or you can blend them together in pretty bottles, which is a perfect way to present a gift. Make a nice label and include “Shake well then pour over ice cubes”.
Your friends will be asking you how to make a Mudslide.
Also try this Fridays Mudslide recipe.